Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Déjà vu – of the crappy kind

*Before I start, I am well aware this is early but my past IVF cycles have shown that what I see on scan #1 is what I see at retrieval.*

After my first follie check this cycle is looking just like cycle #1.  Hammer and I are literally preparing ourselves and praying over if we have to make the decision to cancel and convert to an IUI. It would be cheaper since at this point we are only out ~$50 bucks in meds, ~60 bucks in u/s, and ~$400 in acupuncture treatments.

I have no idea what could be going wrong! With the first cycle I thought maybe it was a combination of my messing up the stim medication + being overly suppressed. But now I just realized that for all of my normal FSH & AMH, I’m just a poor responder. And that is wholly dishartening.  I’m trying not to get discouraged yet at this point but our past IVFs just hang over my head.

I’m on an insane amount of Bravelle (450IU/d) + microdose lupron (40u/d) and here are my results:

R – 9mm, 8.5mm, 7mm

L – 8mm, 8mm, 7mm, 6mm

Lining = 5mm

7 total follicles, just like cycle #1 which ended up with a lead follicle and we only retrieved 3 mature ones. And this is less than the second cycle which went better but ended in a m/c.

For a comparison here is where I was at for the last two cycles on the same day:

Cycle #1            versus             Cycle #2

R – 1-13mm, 3 -<10mm         R – 12mm, 10x2mm, 9mm, 8mm

L- 2 -<10mm                               L – 12mm, 11.5mm, 9mm, 8mm

Lining = 6.5mm                         Lining – 7mm

This is why we are preparing ourselves for a possible IUI conversion. Since all the money is in the retrieval it would be better to call it off before that happens. We will just have to wait until Saturday to see what u/s #2 shows us from there we will be closer to a decision. In the best case scenario we have lots of extra little ones pop up that will possibly be in the running and so we would continue on based upon their best guess at a mature egg count. But worst case would be lead follicles and we would most likely convert to IUI. Now that our pharmaceutical plan has IVF med coverage it puts us in a place where we could talk about doing a 4th cycle if we have to cancel this one but we’ll cross that bridge if we have too. Right now we just need prayer for us to make good decisions based upon the results of our u/s over the next few days.

The only redeeming result of today is that my E2 was 282 which is the best it's ever been.  Although on average most women are around 500 by day five of stims.  In previous cycles I was 107 (#1) and 195 (#2).  So either that means I have a few more lurking around or that I'm just having a higher E2 because of all the meds. Your guess is as good as mine.


Musewander said...

So sorry that your follie numbers aren't higher/better...I can only imagine how disappointing & frustrating that must be, especially with all those drugs.
Sounds like you have a few more days of limbo before the decision will need to be made...I'll be praying for you guys, that you make the best decision for you, and that you feel at peace about it, whichever way you go.
Hang in there

JB said...

I wish you had more encouraging monitoring results thus far...and not to blow smoke up your hoo-hoo, but my last cycle was virtually a repeat of the failed cycle before it, except that my E2 numbers were improved (much like yours now are) and I ended up having all mature eggs despite the still-low number retrieved. I also had taken a break before that last cycle, and did many of the things you did to try and be healthy going into the last cycle. Your IVF break, healthy habits, and acupuncture may be just what those eggs need to be high quality this time! Wishing you lots and lots of luck.

Nicole said...

I'm so sorry about your bummer results. I hope your next scan shows great improvement; and also tha tif you do have to make the choice that you can feel good about whatever you choose. Good luck!!

Brittney said...

:( I'm sorry, lovely. I wish I had some perfect uplifting words of encouragement for you. What I can say though is to try not to lose hope just yet - remember it just takes one and that God performs miracles everyday. I'm praying for you. ((HUGS))