Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Trigger and So Much More

Last night we had everything set up to do our trigger at 10pm. We were lounging around on the couch watching a movie in our pajamas when my cell phone rang at about 8:30pm. It was one of our good friends who live in town. Hammer has known the husband since high school and the two of them moved to our current city around the same time when looking for their first jobs. As couples we've been close for many years now so it was not unusual for the wife to give me a call.

What was unusual was the frantic voice that I heard on the other end rambling on about ambulances and if we could watch the kids. Apparently her husband was having a late dinner and somehow a small chicken rib bone slid down his throat. He could get some air through but they had to call the ambulance as the bone was very far down. We immediately told her we were on our way over to watch the kids.

When we got there the paramedics were able to get a good portion of the bone out but our friend still felt like there was something lodged in his throat. So they went to the ER to get an X-ray and rule out any remaining bone fragments while Hammer and I tried to calm the kids down and get them back to sleep.

They have a 3 year old and a four month old who were obviously woken up to the sound of sirens and 6 men trampling through their house. Strangely enough we were able to get the 3 year old calmed down the fastest, probably because we could reason with him a bit letting him know that his daddy was alright and just 'getting a check up.' He was out by 9:30 which gave us enough time to do the trigger at exactly 10pm. The baby was just totally rattled and it took till about 12:30 am before I finally was able to get her to fall asleep. Our friends came home around 2am with news that the did find an additional bone fragment in his throat and were able to remove it with a scope while he was under sedation.

So while everything ended well we are exhausted. I had to call in late to work since my normal time to get up is 5 am and less than 3 hours of sleep is just not going to cut it. That and it took me forever to fall asleep because we were both wound-up. At 8am I woke up to do the HPT trigger test so that I could call the clinic by 8:30 with the results. I tried going back to bed but my phone rang again and it was my clinic calling with my TSH results. I have to say I'm a bit perplexed by them. They tell me they want my TSH below 2.5 but when my results came back slightly over 2.5 they said it was fine. How can it be fine if it will continue to rise above 2.5 with my increasing estrogen? She said that they can retest at the beta blood draw but as I understand you need it below 2.5 to implant so what if it's too high to implant which makes the next blood draw null and void? I tried to argue logic with her but it was going no where and it probably didn't help that I was still very, very groggy. Time to enlist the help of my medical family and call my brother the nurse practitioner for advice. But first I to get ready for work. Hopefully our retrieval day will be much less eventful!


osuraj said...

Mrs. Hammer-we had the SAME situation happen back when I was still at my OBGYN and suspecting I had thyroid issues. I was hovering somewhere around a low 3 and they would not treat me. I finally went to my family doctor because and she handled it for me. But honestly, the amount of money you are giving them and the hoopla you are putting your body hard is it to prescribe you a little Synthroid? Hope you get it worked out.

Oh yeah, and what a crazy night, jeez!

Brittney said...

Wow, sounds like quite the night!! Glad everything turned out okay and that you were still able to trigger as scheduled. Can't wait for your retrieval day! I'll be thinking of you and praying for you.

Andrea said...

Sending you a BIG HUG and lots of well wishes for retrieval day. And always prayers :)

Hillary said...

What a crazy trigger night! Glad everyone is ok, and I hope you get your thyroid figured out!

Mrs. Katia said...

I'm sorry for your friend's trouble but boy, what a story to tell down the road. I'm so glad everything still worked in a timely manner. Praying for you and hoping for the best.

Nicole said...

What a crazy night! When I was reading I was worrying that the story would end with you missing your trigger time, thank goodnes syou didn't!
If it makes you feel better, none of the multiple IVF clinics we've either cycled through or interviewed do a TSH draw to calculate implantation yada yada. I got preggo twice with IVF (one m/c, one beautiful baby!)... but maybe that's because I don't have a thyroid issue. I don't know. If you're worried about it, call back and push the issue though. You will regret it if you don't- there's no reason to worry about something that a call to the nurse can help resolve. There's enough unknown that nobody can do a dang about in IVF to leave other things up in the air.